Lawrence KS, Whitewater Park

This forum is for any kayak related conversation.

Moderators: KUKayaker, Shawn

Shawn
Site Admin

Lawrence KS, Whitewater Park

Post by Shawn » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:49 pm

Looks like Lawrence in finally moving our the idea we worked so hard on years ago to bring a whitewater park to Kansas!

http://www.kansascity.com/news/state/ka ... 47723.html
Shawn
----------------------------------------
www.kansaswhitewater.org
NØCH

Rod_Snyder

Re: Lawrence KS, Whitewater Park

Post by Rod_Snyder » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:24 pm

That's Awesome!!!

Sounds like something similar to the USNWC in Charlotte NC, which was packed with tourists when I was there
Last edited by Rod_Snyder on Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rod@prowebmaker.com
(816) 216-9426 mobile

troutdude

Post by troutdude » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:05 pm

I'll believe it when they break ground. Until then, KS will remain the red state with one little bastion of forward thinking known as Lawrence.

Clinton lake area? That makes no sense. Bowersock would easily lend itself to a ww park. Not a ton of gradient but, with the proper engineering, far cheaper in the long run. Furthermore, why not do the ww at bowersock and everything else at Clinton? That way, people would have a true tourist destination in a municipality and more businesses would generate revenues instead of isolating everything outside of town at Clinton. Brainiacks at work, no doubt.

Opes

Post by Opes » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:25 am

I will have to respectfully disagree Troutdude. I would much rather have a world class, 365 day controlled flow, ww park. If you have looked at the US Whitewater Center in Charlotte you would realize that that could not be even close to duplicated at Bowerstock.

A park like Charlotte would make Lawerence A ww destination.

SYOTR

Rod_Snyder

WW Park

Post by Rod_Snyder » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:43 am

Just got back from USNWC in Charlotte and that attraction brought in tourists by the thousands. Lots of fun.
rod@prowebmaker.com
(816) 216-9426 mobile

Shawn
Site Admin

Post by Shawn » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:39 am

troutdude wrote:I'll believe it when they break ground. Until then, KS will remain the red state with one little bastion of forward thinking known as Lawrence.

Clinton lake area? That makes no sense. Bowersock would easily lend itself to a ww park. Not a ton of gradient but, with the proper engineering, far cheaper in the long run. Furthermore, why not do the ww at bowersock and everything else at Clinton? That way, people would have a true tourist destination in a municipality and more businesses would generate revenues instead of isolating everything outside of town at Clinton. Brainiacks at work, no doubt.
Bowersock is not a good location due to the proximity of the Bowersock Dam and the regulatory issues involved. We seriously looked into this about 10 years ago along with Bowersock Power's owners and found that the Federal Regulatory agency that grants the permits that authorize Bowersock Power to operate would not be willing to modify the permit to allow any development within 1,000 feet of the dam in the river. Bowersock Power also has issues with water demands and their ability to produce electricity.

Clinton Lake has its own issues, the main one being that Clinton is not a very big lake, and running a whitewater park would drain the lake fairly quickly to levels that are below what the Army Corps of Engineers needs to maintain. A Whitewater Park in Lawrence would likely only be able to operate on weekends and that would even depend on rainfall, unless a set of pumps were used to pump water back up to the lake.
Shawn
www.kansaswhitewater.org
NØCH

Rod_Snyder

Lawrence WW Park

Post by Rod_Snyder » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:11 pm

If it is anything like the US National Whitewater Park in Charlotte, NC it would be a closed system. Water at the lower level gets pumped up to a top reservoir. I'm sure new water needs to be introduced into the system periodically, but for the most part the water is reused.

Posted from the Kayak Dog Mobile App
rod@prowebmaker.com
(816) 216-9426 mobile

burr

Post by burr » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:25 pm

I like it too. Anything that can feed my kayak addiction is good for me. Hell, let's have Bowersock too. Also one at Kaw 435; hellatious gradient there; we could have a waveshaper. The sky is the limit.

On a slightly more serious note: This is the second go around for this ww park at Clinton. The way I understand it -- pumped water and a rafting / kayaking course returning the water to the lake when not in use. Along with a resort hotel and all the other development mentioned in the article. Here are a couple of articles from the first proposal process (summer 2013).

http://www.kansas.com/2013/07/20/289753 ... -near.html

https://www.da.ks.gov/News_Release/NR20 ... t_Bids.pdf

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2013/jul/2 ... nton-lake/

http://www.wibwnewsnow.com/only-one-pro ... ke-resort/

Let's see what happens. Looks like Lawrence is going to be growing out 6th Street and on out Stull Road to the west north of the Lake over time. I support the ww park; I want to kayak whitewater daily. And to the developers -- don't forget the waveshaper.

Opes

Post by Opes » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:26 pm

I agree 100% Dave! The boaters around here would improve dramatically with access to quality WW on a regular basis. I'm getting tired of the "local" runs that are 4+ hours away.

Shawn
Site Admin

Post by Shawn » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:47 pm

its time for everyone to start calling Lawrence City Council, Lawrence Parks and Rec, and Kansas Department of Parks, WIldlife and Tourism and let them know your thoughts and support.
Shawn
www.kansaswhitewater.org
NØCH