ARKansas gots the goods this week

This forum is for any kayak related conversation.

Moderators: KUKayaker, Shawn

Fish

ARKansas gots the goods this week

Post by Fish » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:32 pm

Levels are good down in AR, have been that way for a while, and the forecast looks like rain through Monday morning. I'm likely gonna head down to catch some water, leaving Friday, back on Sunday night. 100% chance of Mulberry, Piney, Frog, Cossatot, etc. Damn good chance of Richland. Reasonable chance of EFLB, Osage, Bobtail, Beech, etc. A good base of water there in all areas. Paddle it while you can!

- Fish

Fish

Re: ARKansas gots the goods this week

Post by Fish » Wed May 20, 2015 1:04 pm

If you missed the last one (or two), go get you some in Arkansas this holiday weekend. Levels are pumped. Two weekends ago was epic flood in which micro-steep creeks were run (we ran White Rock Cr. and Horsehead Cr was run too, and we also got Stepp Cr the same day!). Last weekend south AR went off huge and Crooked Cr. was run at good levels (a rare event). This weekend a few more inches of rain in the forecast on top of an excellent mid-week "base" (Richland at 4', Cossatot at 8', etc.), so could be a three-peat. Stay tuned...

- Fish

Fish

Re: ARKansas gots the goods this week

Post by Fish » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:07 pm

Looks like the best May on record for whitewater in the Arkansas Ozarks is finally winding down. Andy and I got the Mulberry and Frog rivers for a warmup - beautiful weather and great playboating! Then the next weekend, we bagged a solid level on Little Mill Cr., White Rock Cr., and Stepp Cr. - three classic Ozark runs.

Following weekend, I headed down and got Whiterock Cr. at monster level with some boys from Ft. Smith, AR. 200+ feet per mile with about 500 cfs raging down it. Then 2 miles of 80 fpm with about 5000 cfs. Started with 7 paddlers, finished with 5 still in their watercraft. 2 kayaks were retrieved in mixed condition the following day. Definitely a put-your-big-boy-pants-on type of day.

Fun times to be had 4 hours to the south. Boat-em if you got-em.

- Fish