Indian Creek?

This forum is for any kayak related conversation.

Moderators: KUKayaker, Shawn

Kayakcollie

Indian Creek?

Post by Kayakcollie » Fri May 29, 2015 8:52 pm

I would like to find out more about Indian Creek around 103rd, any tips on this river? And is anyone running this river any time soon?

James

Re: Indian Creek?

Post by James » Sun May 31, 2015 6:05 am

We do run Indian creek. We put in at the bridge by the quick trip, then take out at the bend about 150-200 yards. down. This short stretch has the most features but it is also fast with few eddies for swimmers. I don't know your skill or experience level, so the best I can tell you is scout it from Putin to take out and don't run it solo. Try to go with a group for safety. Lately if it rains there have been better runs to do.
You can take me out of the white trash but you cant take the white trash out of me.

Kayakcollie

Post by Kayakcollie » Sun May 31, 2015 11:52 am

Recently I have been playing upstream at 103rd Street near Jasper's (Italian dining) and going to Wornall Road. I walked the rest from Wornall to the nearest takeout that I was able to find, and decided not to try that area yet without someone with me.

My skill level is novice. I have learned how to roll on both sides "self taught" but my right side is stronger then my left and I realize that I need to work on that. I have been wanting to learn from someone who runs the rivers or plays in flat water. I am still new to rivers in a playboat. With my work schedule I was not able to make the pool lessons this last fall or this spring to learn more about controlling the boat for technique and safety with this type of boat and meet individuals in the area to learn from or join on the rivers.

What other rivers do you play?

Thank you for the reply.

wahoo

Post by wahoo » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:48 am

Usually when Indian is running, so is the Blue river. The Blue has more play spots and is a longer run. You can also bomb Indian then head to the Blue since it will hold longer. Straight down the middle is the line at Indian. There is a sticky hole on river right and a wave on river left. Both of them you can play, but at higher levels will have to work to get out of. If both of these runs are running high, that usually means Mill Creek is too. It is a really fun park and play spot.

James

Post by James » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:04 am

So, when do you have time to boat? I know a few of us try and make a weekly routine at some of the flatwater spots over the summer. I think today the rivers are rising and someones gonna run something, who and where is a mystery. Timing it with work is always a luck of the draw kinda thing. The blue is a far better run than Indian, it just takes more water and sometimes a shuttle.
You can take me out of the white trash but you cant take the white trash out of me.

Fish

Post by Fish » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:58 pm

If you're looking for a weekend getaway that's not too far and very dependable, check out the Siloam Springs Whitewater Park in NW Arkansas. About 3.5 hrs drive from KC metro, very beginner friendly, clean water, super fun park-n-play rapids. Lots of tubers on weekends, but not if you go early or late.

In KC, the Blue at moderate levels is the best beginner run. Doesn't have the concrete and sharp rocks that are a drawback to swimmers in Indian Cr. has, and it's longer with more rapids. Really an excellent run, comparable to the better class 2+ runs in other areas. Only drawback is that the water doesn't last long (3 - 12 hrs), but that's par for the course around here.

In the summer, some folks surf the waves on the Kansas R. in Lawrence below the dam. Not a bad spot at all, and good eats and mountain biking right there. Some also surf in the Kansas R. below the western 435 bridge, but poor water quality, jagged rocks, mutant asian carp, etc. make that a bit more advanced... and certainly less desirable.

Also the Arkansas Canoe Club has a couple of good "schools" you can sign up for. The whitewater is in early May. Head over to http://www.arkansascanoeclub.com/ to check it out.

- Fish

Kayakcollie

Post by Kayakcollie » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:38 pm

Thanks for all of the replies!
I been going to SMP and some of the other local lakes to just play around some on weekdays, while the rivers that I know I can do are down.
If anyone wants to join and meet at a location let me know