Message board direction

This forum is for any kayak related conversation.

Moderators: KUKayaker, Shawn

KUKayaker

Message board direction

Post by KUKayaker » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:00 pm

I'm partly to blame for this with getting busy with other things in my life but it's pretty obvious the board has been languishing for awhile. I think people are connecting more on facebook, communicating through texts and prefer boating in smaller groups than before. What I'd like to get is feedback on what, if anything, can be done to improve communication and ensure we are able to continue as a community. While the gauges will continue to be a prominent piece, I think the board needs overhauled and it definitely needs an upgrade for security reasons. I've kept up paying for the board hosting etc out of my own pocket for years now but I'd like to make sure it's still worthwhile.

There are many ways that we can go forward and below are just some ideas. Feel free to post your thoughts or private message me if you would like to discuss.

1. Do a straight upgrade of the board.
2. Look for something with more social network integration
3. Get rid of the board all together and move to a facebook page where messaging can be done
4. Find a board with more private community options for individual boaters to coordinate
etc.
kukayaker = Kevin

LouisianaJones

Re: Message board direction

Post by LouisianaJones » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:22 am

I like the Facebook idea, though it would require some stubborn boaters to get Facebook. I feel like I just check like 7 different places and then text a few different people anytime I want to boat which works, but with Facebook you can set alerts and get sent updates straight to your phone when people post.

burr

Post by burr » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:32 pm

I prefer the message board. There are a significant number of folks who will never join Facebook. This is the nature of technology and change, as well as the knowledge that goes along with it.

James

Post by James » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:11 pm

I think if you wana use facebook for stuff as an individual thats fine if you wana integrate facebook post into the board thats cool. I for one am in no hurry to return to facebook. If you ever want to see what that can do to a boating group just try to be friends with Clay Wright on facebook. Boating is boating. If you start to shift things to a political charged forum you wont be able to keep things about boating. I know several people that don't speak or boat much together anymore due to political differences these days. If you see things different I won't defriend you. :lol:
You can take me out of the white trash but you cant take the white trash out of me.

blair

Post by blair » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:30 pm

Hello,

I like the message board. With messages not being frequent, my favorite upgrade would be to subscribe to a section of the forum, and get a email when a new topic/response is posted. Is there a way to do this on the current board? I don't know all the features of the current forum and I am the new guy, so this could already be common.

Thanks for all the work to make paddling better.

Thanks, Blair
lawrence, ks

rush_60

Post by rush_60 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:04 pm

I check up on this board about 3-4 times a year to see what's new. I'm on Facebook a couple times a week. I used to have a message board for kayak fishing in the midwest, and it had about 35 members after a year and a half. I got tired of the constant behind the scenes maintenance and switched to a facebook group. Not everyone from the message board followed unfortunately, but within a year the group was at almost 200 members. We're over 500 now. We had 2 guys get in an argument on the page once. I told them to get over it or they were both off the page. They're fishing buddies now. That's the only argument we've ever had on the page in probably 3 years. So basically I'm a fan of the facebook groups. They're super easy and free. The only thing I do is check the people that want to join my group to make sure they're from the midwest. Keeps sales people out that way.