Do you know where this is?

This forum is for any kayak related conversation.

Moderators: KUKayaker, Shawn

50Percent

Do you know where this is?

Post by 50Percent » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:15 am

This picture was in the Journal World today. It's in Pottawatomie County. Maybe if the water was up it would make a good hole.

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:02 am

That looks like Rocky Ford near Manhattan. I don't know what it looks like with more water. In the olden days when I was in school we used to go out there and drive around on the big rock slab. It was kinda slippery from moss and you could tow people around like water skiing , cept without the ski's.
It required alcohol.
Maybe Timmy or TJ have more info about the ledge at high water.

Timmy

Post by Timmy » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:09 am

Actually, it looks more like Pilsbury Crossing at first glance, but I've only been out there once so I could be wrong. I'll post some more info about that area when I get a chance. I wish there was a ledge like that at Rocky Ford!!!

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:55 pm

Oh yeah. I was thinking of Pillsbury Crossing but Rocky Ford came out. It's on Deep Creek out southeast of Manhattan.

Timmy

Post by Timmy » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:08 pm

That is a site we don't touch with a 10' pole. You see, that small area in the lower center portion of the picture is not a whirlpool but a portal to the "dry" side where kayaking isn't allowed...............

Okay, I'm full of crap. TJ has some info on the Kansas Paddler site, but I'm not sure it discusses this ledge specifically. I'm sure he's ran it and will chime in when he notices the topic at hand.

Monty

Post by Monty » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:27 pm

i know the guy that took the pic. i will get the exact location from him. the picture is titled ephraim's enso - rock creek, kansas.

Timmy

Post by Timmy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:34 pm

Aha, slap me silly.......We were both wrong Dave :wink:

Dave

Post by Dave » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:27 am

Well, I was wrong twice and you were only wrong once, So I win. :oops:

Timmy

Post by Timmy » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:15 am

It's not really about who's right or wrong in a situation like this Dave...it's about who runs the ledge first this spring :D

TJ

Post by TJ » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:17 pm

Well now that everyone has contributed and I missed the entire thread, I thought it might have been Rock Creek, but had not seen it with so little water.

Rock Creek is located in Pott coutny, just noth and east of Wamego, KS. It is a tributary to the Vermillion. It has a pretty good water shed and is runnable immediately after a large rain event. The Vermillion is also runnable and also has drops and rapids.

You can access it right off Hwy 99, North of Wamego. Take out on the Vermillion as it passes under Hwy 24, east of Wamego. Of course, it is runnable further up too. Just needs more water.

Although I have a description of the Vermillion on the Kansas Paddler Home Page, I don't have Rock Creek on there. It is becuase there is a hell of bunch of honery landowners that have strung barbed wire across it in places. It is a fun run but BEWARE. Lots of strainers too.

I've had a couple epic high-water runs on it, but I wouldn't recommend it for mere mortals.
TJ Hittle

Monty

Post by Monty » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:17 pm

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?ad ... ink2&name=[/url]

The picture was taken south of Dutch Hollow Road, just east of 99 highway. It is in the vicinity of Westmoreland. If the link above works, it will map the area. The photographer voiced the same concerns as TJ on getting the landowners permission. He knows someone who knows the landowner so I asked if he could get a contact name for us. I will update when he comes back to me.

TJ

Post by TJ » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:23 pm

You are close. If you go to Louiville, before you get to Westmoreland, that is where one of the easier accesse to Rock Creek is. Of course, the other landowner issue, which your friend has already pointed out in part, is that there are numerous landowners along the way. To be within the law, you have to get the permission of ALL landowners. Good luck on that one. OR you can use my time-tested and patented method that I call Stealth-Guerilla style paddling. ;-0)

Here is a link that zooms up on it a bit better.
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?pa ... #map1-link

Man, that link is a whopper!!
TJ