redneck kayak transportation methods

This board is for anyone new to the sport who wishes to introduce themselves, ask questions, etc.

Moderators: KUKayaker, Shawn

wakarusan

redneck kayak transportation methods

Post by wakarusan » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:15 pm

Hey all,

First off, thx for the help... I took the plunge and upgraded my otter to a 12'8" dagger blackwater and am elated. Problem is that it's being air-freighted to kansas city, but i don't yet have a rack. I do, however, have a doublecab toyota tacoma with 6'8" of bed space with the tailgate down. I have been urged by a buddy to simply throw it in the back, secure it, and tie a red flag to the end. While i understand this to fulfill legal requirements, i'm not sure it's best for my beloved new boat. Could i at least transport it home (to Lawrence) once in this fashion, or would it permanently damage it? Might i transport it hull up? Must I have the 400$ yakima rack before i even go get it?

i don't suppose it's fine to simply do this everytime i transport it and forgo the cost of the yakima rack?

again, thx very much...
jason

Shawn
Site Admin

Post by Shawn » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:28 pm

I don't think you will do any damage to the boat simply tossing it in the back of the truck for transportation purposes. Don't leave in the back during a hot day as it may deform a bit, but it should bounce right back if you lay it out on the ground in hot sunny weather.

Congrats on the blackwater. Thats a pretty nice boat, and I know at least one KWA member has one.
Shawn
----------------------------------------
www.kansaswhitewater.org
NØCH

Timmy

Post by Timmy » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:47 pm

If you want to go redneck though, don't forget to use duct tape :wink: No worries, definitely throw the flags on the back though so someone doesn't get up close view of your new boat at a stop light...........