Wakarusa Trail Work Day Saturday March 25th

Informaiton about upcoming club events

Moderators: KUKayaker, Shawn

Shawn
Site Admin

Wakarusa Trail Work Day Saturday March 25th

Postby Shawn » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:36 pm

We hope to have a work day March 25th at 9am at the wakarusa wave.

We need to move some large rocks, as well as continue cutting the trail.

Please bring rakes, shovels, wheel barrow, and anything else you can think of that we might need.

Also, if you have a truck or a trailor that can be used to haul large rocks, it would be appriciated.
Last edited by Shawn on Tue May 30, 2006 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn
----------------------------------------
www.kansaswhitewater.org
NØCH

Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:53 pm

Ok, I'm back at my internet. Blu squatting just wasn't working too well in Lawrence. So far we have Bill Sample, Shawn, Me, Dave Brewer, and I think that's it that I know of. Who else. This is important both for getting the work done and making a united showing for the Corps and City of Lawrence. This is our chance to prove we are a viable organization.
The Corps is delivering AB3 this week to use as a top dressing and Bill and I will lead a pickup and trailer caravan out to the bone yard first thing in the morning to get the remianing rocks we will need to complete the trail down to the start of the last few feet where stairs will have be built.
Who is in? It'll be fun.
It's supposed to be dry until Saturday when there is a 30% chance of rain. Of course we will cancel if it is raining or is too wet but we will probably be able to beat the rain if we do it in the morning.

Timmy

Postby Timmy » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:31 pm

It would seem, at the moment, that I will be available for a full-day workout of slinging rocks and dirt. I should be able to bring over our pickup if I can find time to remove the camper shell between now and Saturday morning. If not, you'll have to settle for my shovel, rake, and complete lack of muscle.......off to do some push-ups in preparation of boulder chucking...

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:34 pm

Tim, I think we will have enough trucks do haul the rock. I now hope we can get enough people to help cutting the trail.
Shawn

www.kansaswhitewater.org

NØCH

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:53 am

Actually we could use as many trucks as we can get. I estimate we will need 25 or 30 big boulders so the more trucks the better.
See you at 9

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:00 am

Don't forget gloves.

Rod_Snyder

Postby Rod_Snyder » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:34 am

I've remained uncommitted thus far, as I have been convalescing from back pains, and have even been refraining from paddling :cry:
rod@prowebmaker.com
(816) 216-9426 mobile

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:00 pm

Rod, we still need people to help with the cutting of the trail, and the cleanup of the trail. Even if you can only use a rake, we could still use you.
Shawn

www.kansaswhitewater.org

NØCH

TJ

Postby TJ » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:15 pm

I'll be riding with Tim and bringing some more tools. I also spoke to Smurf (Dave Murphy) today. He may come up also to help. Should be a good talented group.

Are you sure we couldn't get going on the teps?
TJ

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:47 pm

The Corp is advising us to use masonry on the lower steps due to possible inundation so I think we will either have to lay up rock or form up concrete steps. Either way there will have to be a bit more planning and material procurement before we get into that. Also we need to establish the exact landing location so we can design the rise and run.
I've been thinking about using all the small rock we have there already to pour some Taliesin West style rockwork for the steps. Basically you form the steps , fill with rocks and mortar and then when you strip the forms you wire brush the mortar off the largest rocks. It would yield the exactness of poured steps with the look of rustic stone steps.
Here are some pics of walls at Taliesin

Wright left his mortar kind of rough for my taste, so ours would probably be a little more exact and of course our rocks aren't as colorful.
I will run this by the COE to see what they think.

James

Postby James » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:57 pm

I can fund Pizza for lunch if you guys want. Sorry I can't do much as far as moving rock and such. But let me know and I can flip the bill for lunch if you all want.
You can take me out of the white trash but you cant take the white trash out of me.

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:01 pm

I want a full chinese buffet. :P

James

Postby James » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:13 pm

Do they deliever?
You can take me out of the white trash but you cant take the white trash out of me.

TJ

Postby TJ » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:31 pm

Dave,

I like the rock and mortar steps from Taliesin. Will require some talent but certainly doable. Some flagstones would be helpful also.

Who knows, it might even stay in place in case of a short duration high outflow, but doubtful under long term flood conditions. I'm sure the COE remembers when it almost lost their COE spillway at Milford Lake in 1993.
TJ

Rod_Snyder

Postby Rod_Snyder » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:18 pm

Yeah, sometimes my ruptured disks get the best of me. I'll see what I can do to contribute.
rod@prowebmaker.com
(816) 216-9426 mobile

Return to “Club Events”