Erosion report

Informaiton about upcoming club events

Moderators: KUKayaker, Shawn

Dave

Erosion report

Postby Dave » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:24 pm

I also checked the trail after the half inch downpour and have some thoughts. As openboater already noted there are two areas with erosion. The upper trail is no surprise. All we did was put AB3 on the fall line style trail that is already there. The AB3 that wasn't washed away was very soft and had deep footprints in it. I don't think we had a chance to pack it down at all. The main cause of this erosion is water coming off the field directly down the trail. You can see in this picture that there is a big dip in the horizon line at the top of the trail. We need to make a berm at this point to direct water off to the side so it erodes somewhere else and not on our trail.
I will ask the COE for more AB3 so we can build this water diversion and fill the already washed out area.
This next shot shows the erosion and wet area at the french drain near the top of the lower trail. This is the steepest part of the trail and may require some more excavation or switchback to make it less steep but in the meantime we need to build another berm at this point to keep the field water off the trail. The washout is caused by water coming off the field at the entry to the trail. The wet spot in the foreground is due to a breech in the small dirt dam that we built just above this wash.
On the plus side the rest of the trail is solid with no soft spots and no erosion. The steps are holding up even after someone with muddy feet used them this mornging I presume.
So in my opinion the short term solution is berms, a bit more AB3 and alot more walking on the trail to pack it down. Other than that we just need to stay vigilant. Thanks for checking on it Openboater.
Here is a shot of the whole shootin match from the bottom.
Kevin, feel free to add this one to the Waca site. Probably don't want to highlight erosion on the page tho.
Image[/img]

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:32 pm

We need to start planning a repair and finish up day. This could also be used as a time to bring out a reporter to get a picture and story.
Shawn
----------------------------------------
www.kansaswhitewater.org
NØCH

Dave

Postby Dave » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:03 pm

I'm boatin this weekend, one way or another. Maybe the next or a weekday. There isn't very much work left. I agree tho that it's time to get some publicity both locally and in the kayak world.

KUKayaker

Postby KUKayaker » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:36 pm

I also kind of updated the project section and started to include some more information.
kukayaker = Kevin

Return to “Club Events”