Rescue boaters needed for the July 22nd event

Informaiton about upcoming club events

Moderators: KUKayaker, Shawn

Shawn
Site Admin

Rescue boaters needed for the July 22nd event

Postby Shawn » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:01 am

Last edited by Shawn on Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn
----------------------------------------
www.kansaswhitewater.org
NØCH

KUKayaker

Postby KUKayaker » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:07 am

kukayaker = Kevin

cavedave

Postby cavedave » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:34 pm

Regarding the July 22 event;
We need rescue boaters.
The more people who volunteer, the less time any one person has to spend on station as rescue boater. Let`s make this a safe and fun event by having enough volunteers to recover the stray equipment and assist swimmers. If we can have at least fourteen people dedicate one hour each, then we will have a dedicated safety team . Everyone will have opportunity to help, even those who are not on the dedicated safety team.
Those who are on station as rescue boaters should have the support of other boaters and people on shore.
I plan to attend the event and volunteer to organize the safety team. The general outline is to have at least two boaters on station near the island, ready to intercept equipment and aid swimmers. Ideally I would like to have a roster and schedule worked out before the event begins. Otherwise we will be counting on volunteers to make their own arrangements to relieve and be relieved as necessary to achieve the goal.
Either way this works, I am asking volunteers to plan on spending about one hour on station, and to be sure someone will be available to replace them.
I plan to volunteer at 10am, for one hour. We need one other volunteer to begin at 10am, and two volunteers ready to take over at 11am. We need replacements available each hour throughout the day.
Let`s use this message board to get organized.
If we have enough volunteers, then we can reduce the amount of time spent to less than one hour per person,
Thank you for volunteering __________ Cavedave__________

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:25 pm

Thanks for organizing this Dave. I don't know what my schedule is going to be like yet for that day. I don't plan on being on the water for the first our as I assist getting things set up and worked out with Red Bull, Friends of the Kaw, KVHP and Sunflower, as well as I might be on media duty and talking with local civic leaders if any of them show up as requested.

I will participate as a safety boater at some point in the day. I will let you know.
Shawn

www.kansaswhitewater.org

NØCH

Timmy

Postby Timmy » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:25 pm

Right now I'm planning on attending, but it's all dependent on the new baby. I won't be able to commit until early next week, but if I'm there you can count on me for a couple rotations. I'll let you know as soon as possible.

Tim

cavedave

Postby cavedave » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:40 am

All I can do is try, if they want rescue then they will be rescue. If not , then I might want a deposit on any gear I loan out.
I understand people aren`t sure if and when they will attend the event, so we will mostly just make it up as it happens.
And by the way, I don`t plan on being on rescue duty all day either.

Eric&Janica

happy to help.

Postby Eric&Janica » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:05 am

Janica and I will be there all day. We will be happy to help out wherever needed. Just ask.
Eric & Janica

KUKayaker

Postby KUKayaker » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:07 am

my offer still stands but i'm sure we can get people informally to look after eachother. I know in times of past and I have had to rescue people and be rescued at teh wakarusa. People should just at least be conscious of other boaters if they need help as well as any rescue people out there.
kukayaker = Kevin

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:04 am

I agree most people do look out for others, but this is slightly different in that this is a fully sanctioned event and we need to provide a better level of safety and security. The main goal is to keep poeple away from the River Right tree/strainers downstream. We might be having people from all over the region and with all skill levels and we can't just leave it up to chance that someone will help out.

I hope this makes sense
Shawn

www.kansaswhitewater.org

NØCH

KUKayaker

Postby KUKayaker » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:01 pm

I agree just mentioning it since nobody but about 3 people have volunteered to help out. I think another important thing is to go over for the newbies where to go if they have to swim.
kukayaker = Kevin

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:16 pm

good idea kevin. I spoke with cavedave at length about where to stage rescue/safety boaters, and where to herd swimmers and lost gear.

I will reiterate for the rest of the group

at least two rescue/safety boaters deployed. One on river right (in the eddy) of the middle island, and one on river left(in the eddy) of the middle island.

Main goal is to get all swimmers and gear before they pass the island. The Island can be used as a point to get someone back in their boat if they need since history shows us that you can stand there and that the vegetation doesn't pose much of a strainer threat.

If we can't get them by the island, by all means swimmers etc from the river right trees. Herd them towards the river left concret drainage spill way just down stream of the middle island. This is a good place to get people out of the river and back into their gear. if you go down much further it is really hard to find a decent eddy and the plant life gets much thicker.

Rescue/safety boaters should work as a team when going after a party in need. One person should get the swimmer (normally the closest boater to the swimmer) while the other safety boater gets gear. Sometimes both will have to go for the swimmer. use your discression in this. but be in contact with each other to make sure you know what to do and who is doing what.
Shawn

www.kansaswhitewater.org

NØCH

cavedave

Postby cavedave » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:11 pm

Even some veteran kayakers lose their lives on the river. Perhaps in part because they take on extreme challenges. I`m wondering if an ongoing safety discussion board is a valuable new feature to be added to the club website. I see plenty of chatter about finding gear , places to go, and people to hook up with for boating. This is a new and growing club, and perhaps it is time instill the value of safety into the club culture.
A club is about culture. In this case a culture that values playing on whitewater. We spend time and money networking to go boating, often at the expense of other pursuits. Could it be we are collectively overlooking the importance of safety consciousness? If so, could this oversight become a factor in a tragedy that might be prevented or successfully mitigated ?
I have more thoughts to share later on this.
Shawn makes a good point, the July 22 Waka event is fully sanctioned. To that thought , I add that Safety is everybody`s responsibility, not only for one`s own safety, but for everyone to be aware of swimmers, and rescue activities in progress.
Consider this: when you wash out of the hole, eager to get in line and wait for your turn again, you might as well wait on station as a safety boater, or assistant to safety boater. When the next one washes out, they can replace you , and you can go sit in line again. If you make that decision not go on a rescue station, then please be good enough not to cut in front of someone who did.

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:32 pm

I think it is a great idea to add a safety section to the board. I will get started on that.
Shawn

www.kansaswhitewater.org

NØCH

cavedave

.... just ANOTHER reminder ....

Postby cavedave » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:22 pm

For July22 , I think I will supply a signup sheet for safety boaters , with a clock , at the Waka Wave. There will be time slots on the sheet. It should be easy to claim the time you want that way, easy to see what time slots are still open, easy to see who you are replacing, and easy to see who your replacement is. I really do want this safety thing to organize and manage itself as much as practical, since I want to relax and have fun too.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS, August 12 is a triathlon at Smithville Lake, 500 metre swim for which volunteers are welcome. Safety boaters are needed. Shawn has a post on this site with info, see the General Board. This is in conjunction with the Olathe YMCA which has been good to our club , and also in conjunction with the Rose Brooks center aiding victims of domestic violence .
---------
PS I will be bringing a big kayak to the Waka event for people to use, and may make it available to use at Aug 12 event. It is a Riot Glide, and a bit squirrley in eddy current.

cavedave

... and ANOTHER reminder...

Postby cavedave » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:35 pm

One thing we can`t be careful enough about is the TREE ROOT STRAINER along river right bank. Don`t go there.

Return to “Club Events”