KWA Annual Meeting planning thread

Informaiton about upcoming club events

Moderators: KUKayaker, Shawn

Shawn
Site Admin

KWA Annual Meeting planning thread

Postby Shawn » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:22 pm

We need to start thinking about the Annual Meeting

We need to come up with a place to host the meeting, we need to come up with agenda items both from the board of directors, and also from general members. We need to discuss and fill some new positions to try to get more people involved in the running of the club.

Much of the agenda will be created based upon the surveys you all turned in late last year.

Anyone have suggestions on when and where to host the meeting?
Is anyone willing to coordinate and arrange this meeting?

Anyone have topics they would like to discus at the meeting?

Anyone have a position they would like to see created and if so, who to fill it?
Shawn
----------------------------------------
www.kansaswhitewater.org
NØCH

ishiatamaTERI

you are welcome to use our dojo...

Postby ishiatamaTERI » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:22 pm

we do not have classes on Fridays or Sundays (or after 6PM Saturday)... people may have to sit on the floor but its a good sized space...and free! Its in Bonner Springs... If you need it let me know
~Teri

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Sounds like we might have a meeting place lining up.

Anyone else have sugguestions. comments?

Another thought is that I would like for someone to take over marketing/advertising aspects for the club. This person would handle negotiating/renegotiating deals with companies that advertise on our website. I don't have the time to keep it up and as such the companies getting advertising for free right now.
Shawn

www.kansaswhitewater.org

NØCH

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:15 pm

Shawn

www.kansaswhitewater.org

NØCH

KUKayaker

Postby KUKayaker » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:31 pm

I think it would be good to discuss some possible events to get some participation in the club, possibly some more formal beginner's clinics or maybe talk about doing an event late in the season if we get the waka stuff going.
kukayaker = Kevin

Pat O'C

Postby Pat O'C » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:42 pm

I agree with Kevin. We should try to get together and beat some ideas around. That said, my schedule is pretty limited by travel for my job, Kate's basketball, spring break, etc. If somebody wants to schedule a meeting, I'll try to be there.
Mobile (816) 560-1517

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:45 am

Well that is what this thread is about.

In order for us to do clinics, & programs etc, we need people who are willing to schedule, and run them. I can't take on any more responsability with in the club and I actually need to find others to handle part of the responsability. I am personally tapped out and tired after 3 years of doing most of the club scheduling, paperwork, membership duties and hauling of the club gear to and from pool sessions. I'm not very good at managing people which is one of the reasons I am in my state of burnout.

I would love to go into a meeting and be able to break up most of my responsabilty to others in terms of someone handling memberships and renewals, safety cordinator, new member cordinator/liason, club gear manager, pool manager, clinic cordinator, and any other program/position members can come up with.

Thougths?
Shawn

www.kansaswhitewater.org

NØCH

KUKayaker

Postby KUKayaker » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:09 am

I can volunteer for some of the responsibility maybe like the liason and would be happy to do some clinics like what we did for the other club. Maybe the better question would be what are some of the things people would like to see in the club. Is there any topics that came up in the surveys that should go open for discussion?
kukayaker = Kevin

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:41 pm

I sent the survey results to the board members, Pat, Timmy, Tod, & Rod, do you see any reason why I shouldn't post the survey results, minus the names of who submitted answers?

One of the first things I would like to see someone take on would be membership renewals. I am about 1 month behind right now. Basicly I would like to see someone take over the database and send out email and or snail mail reminders to members who's membership is about to expire. This person could take over full membership duties as well if you wanted to check the PO Box as well.
Shawn

www.kansaswhitewater.org

NØCH

KUKayaker

Postby KUKayaker » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:50 pm

I think it should be fine to post any suggestions unless they are of a personal nature.
kukayaker = Kevin

Timmy

Postby Timmy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:50 pm

Sure, I say post the results minus the names. It can be an overview even.

I'd love to volunteer to help out, but I have more than a few reasons why I won't go beyond my role as an at-large member on the board right now. I turned down nomination for a couple of positions within KCKA for the same reasons.

One major reason is because I am the administration for 20+ student-run clubs as part of my job, and that creates a great lack of desire to be involved in clubs outside of work............my only reason for sharing this is because folks need to realize that if one person handles most of the load ALL of the time, even tasks that may seem easy, they WILL begine to feel that this involvement is a JOB rather than a HOBBY. That's when folks start to lose interest.

I guess that rant is focused more on Shawn and his sanity, but it's a call to others to get involved even in a small part. Delegation is one key to effective leadership, but you can only ask for help so many times before you ultimately have to do the job yourself.

I know this sounds kind of hypocritical since I just said I wouldn't get more involved :P

ishiatamaTERI

:0)

Postby ishiatamaTERI » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:14 pm

as a person that owns a business and puts in many many hours on top of classes...and doesn't get paid (dojo has to pay bills,rent, etc.) I feel your pain heehee
I am a newbie but as I currently have no regular employment (anyone need part time help? :wink: ) you are welcome to throw tasks my way. You are teaching me for nothing I owe you time back!

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:43 am

Here is a crude compilation of the survey results with the names of the submitters removed.

http://www.kansaswhitewater.org/upload/KWA 2006 Survey Results.pdf

If someone is handy with Microsoft Word, Access or Excel and would like to take the raw data and make it look pretty and organized I would really appriciate it.

The questions/answers are seperated by a :
Shawn

www.kansaswhitewater.org

NØCH

James

classes???

Postby James » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:03 pm

You can take me out of the white trash but you cant take the white trash out of me.

KUKayaker

Postby KUKayaker » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:25 pm

kukayaker = Kevin

Return to “Club Events”