nicoya

CNN report on this year's rafting accident stats

Postby nicoya » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:20 am

"Simple, yet effective - like a spoon."
~~~Nicoya...

TJ

Postby TJ » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:08 pm

Nicoya,

Thanks for posting that link. There also was an interesting side link that featured a gal, whos dad died on the Rogue River in Oregon, that helped pass a law requireing guides and all paddlers to wear their lifejackets. The guides must also carry a throw ropw with fines of $2,500. Now that has some bite!!

I am terribly embarassed here in Kansas that the Kansas Legislature does NOT require paddlers or passengers in either non-motorozed or motorized craft to be wearing their lifejackets. That is a travesty and Kansans pay for it each year with their lives.

On a happier note, the KCKA will be hosting a short safety-workshop during their upcoming Rendezvous, October 7-8 in Manhattan. We have also requested a water release at Rocky Ford for 1,200 cfs (ideal conditions) but have not heard back yet to confirm.

I'll post an update to KWA members if we do get a release. Should be some good play spots at that level. We are working to re-build Rocky Ford into a first rate whitewater park but I'm afraid that most KS State agencies have never even heard of a whitewater park & they certainly don't hear much from the paddling community about adding one.
TJ

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:50 pm

Sounds good TJ, keep us posted, and let us know what we can do to help.
Shawn
----------------------------------------
www.kansaswhitewater.org
NØCH

TJ

Re: CNN report on this year's rafting accident stats

Postby TJ » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:55 pm

Out here in Colorado on the Ark, we have also had a few deaths related to passengers not required to wear helmets. We've lost a few due to complete stupidity too. Like running low head dams on the Ark at night. Stuff like that. I am always surprised to learn that their insurance companies still insure them after some of the crazy stuff that goes on around here.

BTW, you all may or may not know that President Obama just designated Brown's Canyon our newest National Monument, so that is going to increase interest and demand out here on the Ark. See you this summer. TJ Hittle

KUKayaker

Postby KUKayaker » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:10 am

It looks like bots are getting in and just reposting previous text in a post. We have a Q&A spambot filter (requires them to type the state in our name) so either we have manual people registering or the bots are very smart now. I'll try to do some more research later.
kukayaker = Kevin

TJ

Postby TJ » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:34 am

Yah, that looked like an old post on rafting but I thought that I should reply. Oh well.
TJ

Return to “Safety”